< Home About
Karen Lauke is a freelance sound designer, composer and post-production specialist with experience of creating, editing and producing sound and music for theatre, live performance, installation, exhibition and most recently, film. Karen enjoys working closely with directors, performers, and collaborators from the rehearsal room to performance space (whether that be traditional, experimental, indoor or out) to fully integrate her work within the performance event. In addition to traditional theatre sound design, Karen also works with field recordings, video and text, creating works that respond to local situations, environments and place. Her site-specific public artworks experiment with sound as the main focal point and incorporate many different forms of digital technology.
Her work has been presented and performed in the USA, Germany, Spain, Canada, Czech Republic, Portugal and throughout the UK. She holds awards from World Stage Design for The Odyssey (2009) and The Ghost of Someone Not Yet Drowned (2013).
She was the curator for the Society of British Theatre Design (SBTD) National Exhibition for Sound Design, Cardiff (2011) which toured the V&A Museum, London and Summerhall Gallery, Edinburgh and in 2015 Karen will curate a programme of events for Sound Kitchen at the Prague Quadrennial 2015.
Karen also has a wealth of experience in the creation and leadership of composition and sound design workshops, has worked in Higher Education for over 10 years and has a range of skills and abilities from creating content, editing, post-production to managing projects, budgets and working to tight deadlines.
- Music, space and theatre: site-specific approaches to multichannel spatialisation
- Organized Sound Journal, co-authored with Dr Ewan Stefani, 2010
- The placement of sound in artistic contexts
- Body, Space & Technology Journal, 2010
- Arts Research: Publics & Purposes
- Graduate School of Creatve Arts & Media, Dublin, February 2010
- Dreaming the Silence
- Symposium on Silence, CpaRA, University of Chester, 23 June 2009
- Investigating and defining practice-led research in the arts
- CEPRA, Leeds University, 20 September 2008
- Interdisciplinary Seminar on Sound Spatialisation and Immersice Audio: Disciplines, Venues, Perspectives, Techniques, Systems and Praxes
- Panel Member, Auditory Environments, Culture Lab, Newcastle University, 22 March 2008
- Theatre Sound Design and Musical Construction
- Digital Music Research Network Annual Conference, Leeds Metropolitan University, 8 July 2007
- This is what it sounds like
- Short Story Conference, Edge Hill University, July 2007
- Sound: The Neglected Art in Performance
- Sound As Art: Blurring of the Boundaries, Aberdeen University, 24-26 November 2006
- Hierarchy of the Senses: Non-Descriptive Sounds versus Visual Imagery
- Pushing The Medium Symposium, Udine, Italy, 17 October 2006
- Prospero/Brook: Gielgud, Greenaway and the New Masque
- SW/Texts PCA/ACA National Conference, New Mexico, USA, February 2006